Cookies are a way of life, especially if they involve chocolate and make your home smell like a bakery on Saturday morning. I've been making chocolate chip cookies for years, slightly changing the recipe each time to see what works and what doesn't. Though there have been lots of unsatisfactory changes, some have (thankfully) turned out well and I have been slowly perfecting the art of the cookie. This particular cookie was worthy enough to blog about (at least, in my humble opinion..). It's the first time I've browned the butter, and yes when bakers hear that they roll their eyes..but hey, I'm no expert! Slowly learning, one cookie at a time.


Browning the butter did some amazing things to my cookies, and my senses. As the butter simmers over the stove, a sweet, nutty scent fills the room and it's pretty fun watching the color turn a deep amber. Though I'm ashamed to admit, this isn't only the first time I've added browned butter to my chocolate chip cookies...it's the first time I've baked with it! Oh the horror! I haven't even close to perfected the process yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not pleased with the way it turned out :). I think I might have (almost) burned it just the slightest bit, but in my defense, that was a lot easier than I anticipated.


One thing I can say I've perfected, is the challenging art of toasting walnuts. Probably the hardest thing to do in a kitchen right? right?? ....okay, maybe it's not that big of a deal, but toasted walnuts are essential in a chocolate chip cookie. It really adds such great contrast to the soft, chewy goodies. Not to mention, the smell is amazing! Maybe not as strong and sweet as the browned butter but together they form a very harmonious cookie. It was hard waiting for the butter and walnuts to cool to room temperature. I was so eager to put the ingredients together, every second felt like a minute! Also, have I mentioned I'm actually six years old? Well, I have the baking-patience (is that a thing?) of a six year old. Meaning - I am one.


 Okay so I've sinned quite a bit during this recipe already according to the baking gods...but (I think) this is the last one I will commit! I ditched the vanilla extract and traded it for orange blossom water. I'm Mediterranean, so we cook a lot of sweets with this and rose water respectively. It was extremely hard to find, and I mean four stores didn't have it, but I'm glad I went that extra mile to grab some. It's smells like a really strong, sweet, condensed bouquet of flowers, and really adds a little kick to the cookies. I'm not sure if I'm the biggest fan of vanilla and chocolate, whether it be in cakes or cookies, so that might be a reason to why I barely use vanilla extract...but I am a fan of tasty cookies, and trust me when I say - this made for a tasty cookie!

Oh goodness, so I lied when I said that was my last baking sin...but I also didn't sift the baking soda, powder, and salt into the flour. I added them in before, because I think it mixes in a lot more evenly that way. Personal opinion. Don't sue me.



 "Why oatmeal?" you may ask. Well, I really like oatmeal - and, as I've said before, I like experimenting with my chocolate chip cookies. And by experimenting I mean I'll open up the cupboard, take a gander at what's inside, and start throwing things in without a look back. Trial and error is the key my friends.



Ingredients
  • 2 sticks butter, browned and cooled*
  • 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped, toasted and cooled*
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs (mine were at room temperature *recommended)
  • 1 1/2 tsp orange blossom water
  • 1 tsp baking powder, baking soda, and salt (each)
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3 1/2 cup flour 
Directions
Preheat oven to 375F. Beat the browned butter (it is essential that it has been cooled, as to not melt the sugar) and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until just incorporated. Add the orange blossom water and do the same. Mix in baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well incorporated. Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Add flour slowly, making sure to not over mix. Scoop rounded mounds onto cookie sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from the cookie sheet. Enjoy! 

3 comments

  1. Holy moly, these look good! I may have to try adapting these to a gluten free recipe so I can try them!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I must make these! they look so dang good!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Instagram