Today is Harry's birthday! Being the huge Potter head that I am, I decided to bake a little something as tribute to my favorite fictional character of all time. Chocolate cake is hands-down one of my favorite things of all time so I was rather pleased that Harry's first cake was a "sticky chocolate cake." I love you, JK Rowlng. This cake was literally out of this world. It was super moist, super sticky, and the dark chocolate filling was wonderfully contrasted by the sweet butter cream. It was everything you could possibly want in a cake, and much more. Even licking the bowl was incredible. Basically it was liquid gold. Harry deserves the best, my friends. He saved us from the Dark Lord.
Let me talk to you a bit about this little contraption here...If you don't know what a cake leveler is, find out. If you don't have one, buy one. I'm definitely no cake expert (my frosting jobs will prove that), but this beautiful little gadget I found is so helpful. Stop using a knife to level your cakes!! I used to do that and oh me oh my how my cakes were lopsided! This cuts them so perfectly. I got mine from Michael's but I'm sure any craft or baking store has one.  


Est Voila! I swear and promise to god (not exaggerating, not being biased) this cake is amazing! Like I'll make it and not write "Happee Birthdae Harry" so that I can use it for any occasion. It's exceptionally rich so I'll have another slice tonight with some warm milk to help me pass out. Ahh...life is good today :)
*Adapted from Diamonds for Dessert 

Ingredients

Cake - 
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, baking powder, and salt (each)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp orange blossom water
  • 1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Frosting -
  • 6 tbsp butter, room temp
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 tsp orange blossom water
Buttercream Frosting - 
  • 6 tbsp butter, room temp
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 tsp orange blossom water
  • red + green food coloring


Directions
Preheat oven to 350F and spray two 9-12" diameter pans with nonstick spray
Sift all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda/powder, salt) in a large mixing bowl. Stir in eggs and then add milk, vegetable oil, and orange blossom water. Next, stir in boiling water. Add half the cake batter (about 2 1/2 cups) into each pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool the cakes completely. 
To make the chocolate frosting, cream butter, then add 1/2 of the cocoa powder and sugar. Add half the milk, and repeat until all ingredients have been added. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
To make the vanilla frosting, cream butter then add 1/2 of the powdered sugar. Add half of the milk and repeat. Scoop a little bit of the frosting in a separate bowl (enough for the letters) and add the green food coloring (I put about 15 drops of green) (I know it sounds like so much but I wanted a darker shade!) For the pink frosting, I added 2 drops of red. Cover bowls with plastic wrap until ready to use. 
To assemble, cut both cakes in half "hamburger style" to have four layers. (I also removed the thin top of the cake to make sure everything was even). Place one layer of cake on wax paper over your plate and add 1/3 of the chocolate frosting. Add the second, and third layer and repeat. On the fourth layer of cake, add the pink frosting all over. After your first coat of frosting, clean your knife/spatula and add another coat. Place the green frosting in a small plastic bag, cut a whole in the corner and write the words "Happee Brthdae Harry" on the cake. Enjoy!

22 comments

  1. This looks soooo good! I wish I had the time to cook this week because I really want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that is amazing!! I definitely want to give that a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats amazing, i did the harry potter studio tour near me yesterday and it was so good! :)

    http://beccahearts.blogspot.co.uk/ x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good!
    Have a great day!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! I love chocolate cakes! planning to bake one next weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would love to eat a piece of that cake! Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeep!It looks so yummy! Okay I need to try this out! NOW! :D
    I miss Harry Potter!
    -Ru
    Glitter & Blush

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Happy Birthday Harry! I'm a huge Potter fan myself, I've read those books about 4 times now and I'm thinking it's time for a fifth read. Have you seen the new covers they are releasing? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! I don't even know how much I've read & listened to the audio books...HP is literally my life :)
      I've only seen the cove of the 7th! I'm so into the originals though so idk what I think yet haha...

      Delete
  9. Ok, can I just rent you for a day and have you make this for me? haha I'm not the most gifted baker, but this looks soooooo amazing! I haven't had a piece of REALLY good chocolate cake in so long. Pretty Please?? haha xx

    http://ferdies-place.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is literally SO easy you basically mix everything in one bowl and you go go go! :)

      Delete
  10. mmmm can never go wrong with a chocolate cake!

    xxx
    Lady à la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious. That's so cute that you made a Harry Potter cake. I love it!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. how cute of you to make a cake for hp! love those books! what a good looking cake to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, cute post. I love Harry Potter as well! I went to Harry Potter World at Universal Studios in Florida a few months ago and it was so magical. I even got to try butter beer : ) This cake looks amazing. Looks just like the one in the movie. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Just started following on BL. hope you can follow back so we can stay connected : )

    xox,
    anna-lamode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughh I'm so jealous you got to go!! I really really want to maybe I'll drive down there this year :)

      Delete
  14. I made an exceptionally mind-blowing chocolate cake that went in no time. Today I tried it again but ran out of cocoa powder, so decided to make up for it by melting some chocolate and adding it to the mix. To top it all, I didn't preheat the oven but turned the GRILL on instead! Of course my little cake was a disaster :( At least you got to eat your cake! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my haha! well, we all have crazy cooking catastrophes.. I've had my fare share..Once the oven wouldn't work so I tried to cook my scones in a frying pan..bad choice... At least I could eat some of the dough :)

      Delete
  15. this is a cute blog post love the inspiration
    totally following, can't wait to see more
    xo Jessica
    www.NewlyLoved.com
    follow back if ya like

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy yum... this is one of the best looking cakes I've seen in a long time. I love your tribute!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Instagram